[MacDV] imovie

Robert Green greenrw at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 21 09:45:01 PST 2007

I recently installed ilife 08 so I could import mpeg2 from my new
hitachi dz hs500a camcorder. It turns out that it doesn't recognize
the codec that this camera uses. When imovie 08 is installed imovie
hd remains so that you can choose which version to use. As I
understand it imovie hd has better editing features. My intent was to
import with imovie 08 and edit with hd. This doesn't work but I can
get the files off the camera with the imagemixer software supplied
with the camera and then convert them to mpeg4 with isquint to get
them into imovie hd. First question is, is there a better way to do
this? Next is, in a previous project with hd I used the special paste
feature to paste clips over other clips and keep the original audio.
Since I installed imovie 08 this feature doesn't work when I am
editing in hd. It also seems that the help files know nothing about
this feature. Maybe the hd help file has been replaced with the 08
help file and this feature is not available in 08. Any thoughts on
what is happening here and how to resolve it so I can use the special
paste feature. My os is 10.4.11 on a intel core 2 duo. Imovie hd is
6.0.3
Rob