[MacDV] QUES: USB video capture to G4 dual 1.25 GHz MDD

Tiik at aol.com Tiik at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 10:11:07 PST 2007

Hi,

I   have been tasked to make a minor league quasi-pro documentary by March
16th.
I need to capture video and am having trouble with this simple beginning.
I have done this before...on older Mac's. Normally I just sit down and
capture, edit and I'm done.

I have the Hi8 tapes and am using a Sony Hi8 Handycan Vision...
Sony Steady Shot CCD-TRV608 NTSC Video Hi8...USB streaming.

The computer is Mac PowerPC G4 Dual 1.25 (Mirror Drive Door)
OSX 10.3.9 and OS 9.1

The software is   either:
Final Cut Express 2.0.2
or Adobe Premiere 5.1

I prefer to use Premiere because I've used it for 10 yrs.
Yes, this forces me to use OS 9.1 but I don't mind at all.

Either way, neither application will find the device...the Handycam is
connected with a USB cable that works.
I am thinking that they are looking for a firewire device instead of a USB
device.
I did go into the Sony Handycam menu and set USB streaming to ON.

I am unable to find anything named Capture Presets.

Also, iCapture will not read it. Please excuse me if that name is wrong...it
popped up
at some point suggesting I try it and I did and it could not find the device
either.
I have never used it before...whatever it was.

I would appreciate anyone telling me if I can make Adobe Premiere
read this USB video signal. Can Premiere find this USB device or not?
If so, how?

ALSO...The Sony Handycam also has an S1 port, but the G4 does not have an S1
port.
Can I buy some little box that will allow the S1 to enter the G4 through the
firewire port?

AND...
do you have any suggestions for me in this dilemma?

Thank you soooooo much.
Tiik