[MacDV] QUES: USB video capture to G4 dual 1.25 GHz MDD

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Fri Feb 23 20:46:57 PST 2007

This USB streaming is not going to get editable video into your
computer. I don't know the specifics of your camera, but almost
for sure it is for streaming a compresses mpeg version of the
video on the internet/network. A lot of cameras also use the USB
to get their stills into a computer.

You're going to need an analog to firewire convertor box. I use
one made by Canopus. Not cheap; here's one on ebay...
<http://tinyurl.com/27rppz>

Another option would be to pick up a used Digital8 camcorder.
Probably cost a bit more than the Canopus, but you'd get a second
camera in the deal. At least some of the Digital8 camcorders can
play your Hi8 tapes out the firewire. Worst case, you'd have to
copy your Hi8 tapes to Digital8 tapes (camcorder to camcorder)
and then go from Digital8 tapes into your computer.

If you have a miniDV camera, you can also copy your Hi8 tapes to
miniDV tape, then go into the computer from miniDV.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan