[MacDV] QUES: trouble with DVD+RW files ((needs to make .DV files))

Mike Rehbein rotorwash at mac.com
Sun Feb 25 12:56:25 PST 2007

Tiik,

Do you own an external hard drive?

Dubbing as you call it, actually encoding or compressing to DVD is
really the last step you would like to do. Not the first :)

You start out with the movie footage in .DV files that Premiere,
iMovie and other editing programs work with.
After the editing is done, then the completed movie is encoded or
compressed to fit on a DVD. That's when compression is used to remove
information and the file is converted to a type recognized by the
player.

So, the .DV file you edited ends up small enough to fit on a DVD-R
(4.7 GB or less) and the file type was converted to MPEG2 so a DVD
player can recognize and play the file.

If the movie is to be played on an iPod, the file would be compressed
down to probably 300 MB and the file type converted to MP4 or
something an iPod will recognize and play.

If the Hi8 does not have a digital output, the signal needs to be
converted to digital and saved to a hard drive as a .DV file.
Get that step out of the way and then the rest of your usual work
flow will be just fine.

So what you need help with is getting the Hi8 to a .DV file.

Mike