[MacDV] QUES: trouble with DVD+RW files

Gordon Alley gordon at gordonalley.com
Sun Feb 25 15:21:23 PST 2007

If you intend to edit the clips later, it would be better to use an
A/D converter (or a camcorder with "pass-through" mode) to digitize
the clips directly into iMovie via FireWire. If you first copy the
clips to a DVD, they will be heavily compressed, and you'll lose a lot
of quality.

If you still decide to go to DVD first, you can use Toast 8 or other
utilities to rip the clips to your hard disk and convert them to DV
for iMovie.

-Gordon

On 2/25/07, Tiik at aol.com <Tiik at aol.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I have been asked to make a DVD documentary by March 19,
>  using Hi8 footage and photographs to create documentary movie sans audio.
> Yay!!!
>
>  EQUIPMENT:
>  at home---533MHz PowerPC G4 Graphite with OSX 10.3 AND external Lacie
> DVD+RW
>  at work----1.25GHz MDD G4 dual with OSX 10.3.9  with internal DVD drive
>
>  I will be making this movie on both machines...very likely...well,
>  that is what I want to do...so I can work at home too.
>
>  THE PLAN:
>  - Dub all Hi8 tapes to DVD's (this is where the problem comes in)
>  - scan all photo's to my Mac using Photoshop (no problems here)
>  - use those with my Mac and Adobe Premiere 4.2 and/or 5.1, which I've used
> for 9 yrs,
>  to create a final DVD documentary movie.
>  I have used Power Point, iMovie and Final Cut Pro in the past but I know
> Premiere really well.
>
>  The PROBLEM:---at home---
>  I dubbed some Hi8 footage to a Fuji DVD+RW and cannot get my Mac to read
> the files.
>
>  Using my 533MHz PowerPC G4 Graphite with OSX 10.3
>  I put the DVD into the external Lacie DVD+RW,
>  and had to do a "Region"  initialization...or something like that before it
> would  be accepted...
>  the DVD showed up on the desktop, all good so far....
>
>  Apple's "DVD Player" opened automatically,
>  played the DVD, and the movie IS there...so the dubbing worked...all good
> there.
>
>  I then went to iMovie (OSX 10.3) AND Adobe Premiere( OS 9.1)...to import
> the files and found that
>  neither application can read the files.
>  The DVD has 2 folders on it. VIDEO_RM  and VIDEO_TS
>  The files inside the folders are not readable. Wahhhh!!!
>
>  I have been using Premiere for 9 yrs. I cannot figure this out.
>  Hellllllllp....please....if you can!!!I am at a loss.
>
>  Tiik
>  202.232.4825

Gordon B. Alley
http://www.gordonalley.com