[MacDV] Software for importing LP music

Tom Meyer tmeyer at lps.org
Sun Nov 25 11:15:05 PST 2007

George

I have been using CD Spin Doctor 2 that came with toast 6. I use a
Griffin iMic that I got through ebay. It came without any software to
use hence the use of Spin Doctor. It has done a great job.  Allows you
to define and name audio tracks. Adjusts to eliminate background hiss,
clicks and pops as well as boosts the bass. You can name each track and
export active tracks. Once exported they import easily into iTunes and
can then easily be converted to mp3s. I have numerous vinyls now
residing on my iPod. Long live Jim Croce, Blood Sweat and Tears, even a
little Little Deuce Coupe by the Beach Boys. If you purchase or have
access to Toast 6 (other's versions probably have it too) you should be
able to get the Spin Doctor program.

I used a 900 MHz G3 iBook running Mac OS 10.4  and a Audio Technica
AT-PL50 turntable with a White/Red RCA to mini stereo plug cable hooked
to the Griffin iMic microphone input. I believe I also have to have the
preamp switch (under turntable, remove pad) turned on.

I did have trouble trying to get it working using my MacBook and since I
knew it was going to work on the old iBook I just set it up and used it
since it was plenty efficient as it was. I don't know if you have an
output other than the USB from your turntable because you will need to
input into an iMic with a mini stereo plug (headphone type).

Tom