[MacDV] Software for importing LP music

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Nov 25 20:20:36 PST 2007

At 1:45 PM -0500 11/25/07, DGH wrote:
>Can someone recommend an  inexpensive app for bringing LP record
>music from a turntable to a USB Mac port?
>  I have been trying Audacity but cannot seem to get it to operate. I
>have trouble saving, seeing the wave pattern, and relaunching saved
>music.
>  I have a Audio-Technica LP2D-USB turntable. Mac OS 10.4.1 Power PC 800 MHz G4
>Thanks. George

Define "inexpensive"! :^)

I use a Presonus Firebox attached to a Phono Pre-Amp, with either a
Dual or Rega turntable.  For software I've been using Bias Peak LE
5.2.  I tried Audacity briefly, I like the equalizer function, but
found it to otherwise be far inferior to Bias Peak.

Do yourself a favor and clean the LP's before you try to 'rip' them.
Also remember that by converting them to CD or MP3 the sound quality
will be decidedly inferior.  I only covert to be able to put them on
my iPod for when I'm not at home.  At home I listen to the LP's
themselves.

		Zane