[MacDV] What does it take???

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Oct 16 06:30:36 PDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at Sat, Oct 13 2007, 1:39 am, Brett Conlon wrote:

> So what is needed to get the "ripped" disc happily back onto a disc
> which
> will play like a normal Disc???

The most reliable way to get a DVD-player-capable backup copy of your
commercial DVD is with Mac the Ripper (preferably version 3 to handle
some of the newer disks with extended copy protection junk) to decode
onto your hard drive and either DVD2OneX or DVDRemaster to recompress
and write the new DVD. I think Popcorn will recompress and write a
video DVD also.

Most 2 hour movies will decode to 6 or 7GB. You'll need to recompress
to get it back onto a 4.7GB DVD.

Handbrake will decode many DVDs also. You can probably write a
playable video DVD with Toast if no compression is needed, but I
haven't done that myself.

DVD2OneX and DVDRemaster will allow you to burn the movie only,
without the menus and extras and multiple languages, thereby reducing
the amount of compression needed and increasing the quality of the
final result.

If you have a scratched disk, it might be reconstructed with a
cleaning and polishing. Many of the larger chain video rental stores
now have CD/DVD polishing machines that will refurbish the surface
for $4 or $5. It might be an easier path to try that first.

--
Dennis Fazio