[MacDV] New version of iMovie

Bernard Munter bmunter at netspace.net.au
Thu Jun 19 03:50:41 PDT 2008

On 19/06/08 113110, "Raymond Rogoway" <rogoway at infionline.net> wrote:

> I keep both version on my Mac. I use the new version for "quick and dirty"
> projects. But if I want high quality, well edited (both audio and video) I use
> the old version. I am a retired school teacher so I understand your frame of
> reference. The choice depends on what you want your students to produce. If it
> is just a quicky class project to illustrate a subject then the new version is
> much easier to use. However, if they want a video that really looks good or if
> they can handle the higher tech procedures in the older version then that
> should be your choice.
>
> I use the old version to extract segments from full length movies that I put
> together so that I could show them in a 50 minute period. I could not do that
> easily in the newer version.
>
> On Jun 18, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Mary Ann wrote:
>
>> I have been using iMovie HD (version 5 mostly) with my students. The new
>> style iMovie (v.7) is a little perplexing, even after a demo from the apple
>> store. I just don't like that the time-line doesn't look like a time-line.
>>
>> I'm wanting to know if those who have moved up to the new iMovie find that
>> they like it, find the change-over hard, or other input that may be helpful.
>> My school IT person asked if I just wanted to "skip" upgrading to the new
>> version. That would suit me, but would I be missing something and
>> eventually be sorry I didn't move up?
>>
>> Mary Ann Janosko

I also use both. The new version offers pretty good (kind-of FCE-style)
colour correction which I've found invaluable. The cropping facility is very
useful, particularly when using material from VHS of dubious quality.

But for me, the one big thing it lacks is the ability to set chapter markers
for Toast or iDVD. To do this, I have to take the edited (in the new) iMovie
project into iMovie 6 in some form, eg a QuickTime DV file.

I really struggled with its importing as event and building project paradigm
for a while. For me, it seems to import fewer video formats than iMovie 6,
but does import _much_ faster than 6.