[MacDV] Capturing AVCHD

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 24 06:41:58 PDT 2008

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a client who wants me to do some editing and post production
on raw video shot by someone else. The negotiations are going well -
until she informs me that the original video is in AVCHD format.

I use FCE, which I think is supposed to handle AVCHD. But how would I
go about capturing the AVCHD to my hard drive? I'm assuming you need
a camcorder that captures AVCHD to be able to send AVCHD out through
the FireWire to the computer. And she tells me the raw AVCHD footage
is about one gig per hour. Sounds like a mighty small file size to me!

What would happen if the client attached a camcorder using standard
DV to the AVCHD camcorder and did a tape to tape transfer?

Thanks,
Steve R.