[MacDV] Cybershot .mov to iMovie

Mike Rehbein rotorwash at mac.com
Wed May 21 11:05:51 PDT 2008

Klaas,

iMovie will accept the video in more than one format but I'll use DV
as the one for this example.

I have QT Pro installed and so I would not know if it is required to
export to DV or not any more but, not a problem really.

Double click the movie in iPhoto's library and it loads in QT

As a test, save the movie from QT as a .mov file, then drag and drop
it on the shelf in iMovie, if it imports, then play the clip to see if
the audio is there too.

If iMovie did not import the clip or, if iMovie did import the clip
but the clip had no audio, then, not a problem, the following will work.

Load a clip in QT, try exporting to a DV file file.

Drag and drop the .DV file to the shelf in iMovie and test.

IF you could not export to a .DV file from QT, then that is likely
because the Pro version is needed.
You can either get the Pro version or....

Save the movie clip to a .MOV file.
Download MPEG Streamclip (Google it, download it, it is free)

Open MPEG Streamclip and load the clip saved as a .MOV file
Export to a .DV file

Drag and drop the .DV file to the shelf in iMovie.

This should get you what iMovie needs.

Mike