[MacDV] QuickTime to iMovie 6.0.4 introduces artifacts

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon Nov 24 14:26:37 PST 2008

I've made a composite of two video frames into a single frame, using
Final Cut Pro 6.0.5.  This will all the eventual viewer to watch two
different sign language interpreters simultaneously, in sync with each
other.  Where the corners of the frames overlap, I created a black and
white mask in a graphics program to control which part of each frame
will show.  Basically, I rounded off one corner of the lower right
frame, where it overlaps the upper left frame.

After rendering, the overlay looks perfect in Final Cut Pro.  I
exported to a self-contained QuickTime .mov file.  This QuickTime movie
looks perfect.  I imported this QuickTime movie into iMovie 6.0.4,
running on an Intel iMac, Leopard 10.5.5.  In iMovie, the video shows a
horizontal line artifact, along the bottom edge of the overlap area.
What I seem to be seeing is the lower video layer bleeding through
along a thin line, where it should have been masked out.  It looks as
though the mask wasn't properly sized/positioned.  What doesn't make
sense to me is how this artifact could show up in iMovie, when it
doesn't appear in Final Cut or QuickTime.  The QuickTime movie that I
imported has no mask and no overlay.  It is just a series of video
frames that historically came from a composited image.  How could the
overlay line suddenly appear?

Any ideas?

Derek

Derek Roff