[MacDV] In the market for a new Camcorder

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Fri May 8 08:50:49 PDT 2009

Hiya,

Not too long ago I mentioned on this list that I dropped my Panasonic
GS-400 on the concrete, after which the captured image became quite
yellow. I've had a service assessment on it and they tell me the CCD
needs replacing ($700 AUD).

So I can either throw good money at an old machine or potentially look
at a new device - which would of course be HD.

Being quite a fan of the Panasonic, I've read a few reviews for the
Panasonic HDC-HS300 and am interested in it. Anyone have this model or
any feelings about it? Other preferences, perhaps?

Now, moving to the HD arena I have a few other questions...

I've been a fan of tapes  to date (per MB they are/were good value) -
or am I just way behind the times??? My concerns moving to HD are
regarding quaity. Most cameras capture in MPEG-2, right? (I think some
also capture in .mov). I've felt concerned capturing in MPEG-2 (a
heavily compressed format) then downloading to the computer for
editing, then to re-encode again for authoring to DVD. Is there an
appropriate workflow to maintain quality?

I've been shooting in 16:9 and would like to continue to do so. I'm
not fully up on the appropriate/best resolutions 1080 (is there a
1080p or something?). Is there a good, quick read somewhere for
getting myself updated with the newer standards?

Sorry, lotsa questions, I know...

Any/all help most appreciated!!!  8-)

Cheers,

Cojcolds