[MacDV] In the market for a new Camcorder

Derek Roff derek at unm.edu
Mon May 18 21:26:41 PDT 2009

> Basically, Cameras that record to disk may or may not use some form
> of compression. Cameras that record to tape do not, just like SD
> tape cameras.

I disagree with the above statement.  All video formats are
compressed, even the ones that are called "uncompressed" (whose video
is compressed by technology limitations, including intentionally
blurring lens elements and low-resolution sensor circuits, rather
than by mathematical algorithms).  The differences lie in how the
compression is done, and the impact that has on the workflow and the
video product.  The mini-DV tape that has carried the digital
camcorder wave of the last decade, recording Standard Definition in
the DV25 encoding, is compressed by both technology limitations (lens
quality, sensor size) and algorithms.  HDV records High Definition to
mini-DV tape in MPEG-2 encoding, which is more highly compressed
(mathematically) than DV25.

Although this is the twilight of tape, I would still pick a tape
camera today.  The current market for consumer tapeless cameras is
rather chaotic, with many lousy codecs and encoding schemes (or is
that "lossy"?).  I don't expect any of them to last five years,
whereas DV25 and MPEG-2 will be supported in editing software for
longer than that, because of the massive amount of archive material.

People often tout the speed of file transfer to the computer as an
advantage of the tapeless formats, but that speed advantage is
compromised by the time it takes to transcode or expand the format
into something editable.   The higher compression rates of tapeless
camcorders result in lower quality video, with more artifacts.  That
is why I prefer tape, at present.

Someday soon, a decent tapeless codec/encoding will appear, and we
will be able to say goodbye to tape.  For the moment, I, too, like
the Canon HV30 as a consumer-level camera with nice features, good
video quality, and the ability to shoot HD or SD video onto mini-DV
cassettes.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center