[MacDV] Storage

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sat Feb 20 05:46:48 PST 2010

Derek, we make a weekly TV program, and still use 800mhz G4
Powerbooks running 10.2, attached to FW and USB2.0 disks, for
offline editing. Work great, very stable - "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it".

Patty, the disk will work. If it has FW, then you won't need to
do anything but plug it in, and /maybe/ reformat it. If you're
running 10.2 or earlier, your Mac likely does not have USB2.0 --
which you will definitely want if you have to use USB. USB1.0 is
too slow for editing, and while you can still copy files over
USB1.0, it will be painfully slow.

We found USB cardbus adapters to put USB2.0 into our Ti-books.
Here's link to a long discussion about getting USB2.0 working on
older Macs. Sounds like if you have 10.2.8, you will not need
drivers...
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/299052.html

Can't remember what version of 10.2 we're running, and I'm at
home at the moment. Our cards were generic cheapies I picked up
here in Tokyo.

Derek is right in that older Macs could not use disks larger than
128-130 Gigabytes. That was due to the IDE controllers, in the
Mac itself, or the USB/FW to IDE bridge cards used in external
drives. If the 1TB drive you looked at is external, then even old
Macs will work with the disk. If the 1TB disk is an internal
type, you might have to upgrade your IDE card (not possible on
iMacs...). You should be able to Google your Mac model and see if
it is limited to the smaller disks.

Hope that helps.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan