[MacDV] Video conversion suggestions for iPad2

Nick Scalise nscalise at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:14:49 PDT 2011

[Had to resend to get under the 5k limit, to bad spammers aren't
treated as suspiciously.]

Yeah, if you plug in your numbers, what it gives back is what you
should use. However, for 1024x576, 1775 Kbps seems a little small.

Here's what I plugged in (not counting audio):  16:9, 1025x576, 25fps
(is that correct?), Fast motion, AVC/H.264 Codec and got 4290 Kbps. So
there is discrepency there between our numbers. Changing the framerate
to 15fps bumps it down to 2574 Kbps.

Now, remember that this is optimized for streaming, so it's probably
the lower end of the spectrum, but it does produce good looking video.

When you get info on those streams, the .ts files, they are MPEG2,
(dvd codec) and it requires higher bit rates for same quality.

So, you have two starting points here. The bit rate from the MPEG2 ts
files, and the recommendation from the calculator.

I would suggest transcoding just a few minutes of the video, maybe a
scene that has lots of action, color change etc. at different rates
and see what is tolerable for your tastes, then go from there. Once
you get a bit rate that is acceptable, you can use that bitrate from
then on.

--
Nick Scalise
nscalise at gmail.com