[MacDV] Video conversion suggestions for iPad2

Bernard Munter bmunter at netspace.net.au
Wed Sep 28 16:41:41 PDT 2011

On 29/09/11 001555, "Conlon Brett" <brettnlis at bigpond.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for your suggestions on what are some good settings I should use
> when converting my recordings to video files for watching on my iPad.
>
> Here's some facts:
>
> The recorder is a PVR (Topfield 2400) and it captures video streams as raw
> files (no conversions).
>
> I clean them up in MPEG Streamclip (Start/finish/ads) and then save them as TS
> so that there is no re-encoding of files.

How so?

> I can then watch these on my telly through my Topfield.
>
> Now I want to convert a bunch of them to view on my iPad2.
>
> Does anyone have any good suggestions or even alternative (Mac) solutions for
> easily/quickly converting video files for their iPad.
>
> Do any of the Roxio products work well for their cost?

I can only speak to the quality of Roxio products when it comes to encoding
and transcoding video - not the best, IM(V)HO. They are certainly faster
than other methods, but there is a strange 'vertical blinds' pixellation
artefact about the resultant video. I first noticed this effect in DVDs made
in Toast, and later on, transcoded video when Toast was upgraded to provide
this function.

I use Toast for _burning_ DVD images I have made in iDVD, after reading of
many readers' bad experiences with failed burns in iDVD.

I cannot speak to the utility of Handbrake for transcoding for iPad, only to
the effect that it works well for iPhone/iPod Touch.