[MG] Playing Multiplaying games

Gregory Davis grgdavis at swbell.net
Fri Dec 13 21:17:17 PST 2002

What you are probably running into could be two issues.

1)  Your not getting the correct IP because your computer is behind a NAT
firewall.

And/or

2)  You need to drop the network port on the firewall to that computer.

The X-Router that I use gives instructions on how to do both of these tasks.
To determine the correct IP (The one the cable modem is assigned) you will
need to look up how to determine the IP address that has been assigned to
the Airport hub or the Router.  Whichever device is connected to the Cable
modem first.

One of those devices will more than likely be serving NAT.  Network address
translation.  This means that if you use the Network control panel on your
Mac it will not actually show the IP that is assigned to the cable modem and
the one that your friends will need to do Multiplayer gaming.

Also if you are behind a NAT firewall you will need to determine the port
that the game uses to communicate on.  There should be a setting somewhere
that will allow you to open this port.  This will enable you to host a game.
You will just need to give your friends the IP address of the cable modem so
they can route their gaming packets to the correct server.

Some systems like the X-Router offer what is called a DMZ function.  This
function allows you to drop all firewall access on one computer behind the
fire wall.  Generally you have to determine the internal network IP address
of the computer that you want to drop the firewall on and then enter that IP
into the DMZ function.  Now all traffic will flow to and from that Mac like
it was the cable modem.  You will still need to give your friends the
address of the cable modem.

Is this as clear as mud?

Greg Davis

on 12/13/02 10:32 PM, Marcus at tuel2000 at rcn.com wrote:

> Hey All,
> While I have had a cable modem for the past year in my area because i
> have a different cable company all my other friends are just now
> starting to get there's and with that we have all started to play
> against each other we games like MOH and SOF2.  The problem comes up
> when a friend tries to serve and get there ip when they are using
> airport or another type of router/hub,  It just needs up not working
> and no one can connect and play.  Is there any kind of special
> procedure of getting around the base station or something else to make
> it so that people with airport can host?  Thanks for your help
>
> -Marcus
>

> - - - - - - - - - - -
> Check out the MacGames email list FAQ
> http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacGames.html
>
> X-Router | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
> Dr. Bott | Now $139.99     <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Gregory Davis
President, iConsult LLC
#4 Willow Oak Cove