• FPS Games, Mac OS X, & Mouse Control •

Zachary Black zblack at zsculpt.com
Sat Mar 15 19:08:12 PST 2003

I'm trying to raise awareness of a glaring problem in OS X.  Any
serious gamer who has played MOHAA, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and
now even Quake 3, is probably already aware that there are major issues
with the mouse control.  It feels as though you are trying to aim using
an old ball mouse with gunked-up rollers.  As you try to move the mouse
in smooth, straight motions, it "lags", making precision aiming
absolutely futile.  Has this been discussed and/or resolved?  Am I the
only one who notices or even cares?  Who's fault is this, Apple's or
the games developer's?  And more importantly, how does one FIX it!?

It's been some months since I last looked into the problem, but as I
recall, some previous versions of Quake 3 had an option called
"in_disableOSMouseScaling", that could be changed to combat this
problem.  But it now seems to do nothing on the latest version of Quake
3.  How can this problem continue to go unnoticed by the Mac gaming
community? These games are all currently UNPLAYABLE in my opinion.
Frustrating and totally unenjoyable.

Here are the facts:
•  The problem does not happen in OS 9 using identical hardware. (same
CPU, RAM, Mouse, etc.)
•  It is not related to 3rd party extensions or mouse drivers.

Could somebody PLEASE shed some light on this issue?

Many thanks in advance,

Zachary Black
Z Sculpt Entertainment
zblack at zsculpt.com