[MG] HOMM4 questions

Nevin Steindam thenevin at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 2 05:07:33 PDT 2003

I have the 2.3 patch.  If you really can't get it anywhere else, I'll try
to send you the necessary files.  But they're over 13 megabytes and it'll
be some trouble for me.  So see if the site gets fixed anytime soon, or if
one of the fan sites has the patch for you first.

Let me know.  The patch is vital for playing against the computer --
without it, you'll have more challenge from the wandering monsters.

>Also, maybe one of you can answer this question:  How can I have
>heroes LEARN spells?  I've got a level 4 mage who knows Order magic,
>but he refuses to learn any new Order magic spells (well, I don't
>know how to make him learn).

You have to build the proper structure in one of your towns (Holy Cathedral
for Life spells, Institute of Magic for Order spells, etc), and then have
the hero visit that town.  The mage guilds have levels, so you have to keep
building them up (the first time, it will only teach a few level one
spells.  Then you can upgrade it to teach level two spells, etc.)  For
Order Magic, you must build your guild in an Academy town.

Also, because the Haven and Necropolis are "allied" with Order magic, they
can each build a structure that will teach some Order spells (though not as
many as an Academy town will) up to the level of the local mage guild.

Good luck!
Nevin