[MG] iMac Gaming card

Gregory Davis grgdavis at swbell.net
Wed Dec 1 02:52:55 PST 2004

Heres my take.

Want a great machine that runs Motion and Final Cut Pro plus plays
games.  Get the iMac.  But be aware that you will probably want to get
a new iMac in about 3 years if you are into gaming at all.

The iMac is a "consumable" machine.  Use it and then upgrade especially
for gamers.  If your a normal computer user that iMac will last for 6
years easy.

But since we are all gamers then heres what you really should do.

Decide what is most important to you keeping a system for a long time
and upgrading it or paying a premium for games and upgrading it.

Then go look at PowerMac G5 towers and a Cinema Display.

The entry level Single 1.8 GHz tower has an upgradeable video card
which is about all that you would ever upgrade except the RAM.  You
will probably get about two years extra out of this tower than the iMac
for Gaming.

If you have to have cutting edge graphics get the Dual 1.8 machine.

I think the Dual 2.0 and 2.5 are kick A. for gaming but too much of a
premium for the PCI X slots that will never be used in a gaming machine
and who needs more than 4 gigs of RAM in a machine for gaming.  Gamers
should only be running one application at a time anyway.

If you want to wait then you could probably get a clearance model after
the next models of G5 tower come out.  The problem with this is that
you will have to start checking CompUSA or another retailer on a daily
basis once the announcement is made.

Here is the draw back to doing that.  Apple tries to keep inventory in
the sales channel at a low right before new models come out.  That way
their retailers and own stores don't loose too much money on the
"deals" because there aren't a lot to be found.

If you can find one then here's a strategy that has worked well for me
in the past few years.

Once a model is clearenced wait for the price to drop about 200 to 300
dollars.  This puts the machine below cost.  This can take some time
after the new models come out and you run the risk of having the
machine bought out from under you.  Buy as much RAM as possible using
Rebates.  The machine needs more than 1Gig of RAM.

Use the machine until the next model is clearenced.  Buy a new
"clearance" deal.  Sell the old computer on eBay with the RAM and
hopefully Apple Care if you were shrewd enough to get it worked into
your deal.  Apple Care  will cover the demo or open box clearence item
you are getting for the remainder of 1 to 1.5 years and the new person
buying the machine has peace of mind.  It also improves the amount of
eBAy bids.

Now you have an almost cutting edge machine every 9 months to a year.
You have Apple Care for tech support and if your lucky you  are making
money or breaking even on the deal.  I've broke even on 1 deal and made
money on two deals I've done this way.