[MG] so what's been up with the list?

Adam Bass abasscube at mac.com
Fri Dec 3 18:20:19 PST 2004

Gaming is definitely getting much better on the Mac. All Macs have
decent graphics cards now (yes, the iMac's graphics card IS decent).
Consumer PCs come with lower-end graphics cards too, it's just that you
can upgrade them. If you need to be able to upgrade it, you can get a
G5 tower (the single 1.8 isn't that expensive), but the iMac's GeForce
5200 should be fine for most average gamers for a good while. I have
heard very few complaints about the performance of recent games for the
Mac; most Mac game developers, such as Aspyr and Macsoft develop their
games with Apple's low-end systems in mind. With UT 2004, I didn't get
as dramatic a performance boost as I thought I would when I upgraded
from a Radeon 9000 (64 MB VRAM) to a 9800 (128 MB VRAM), and benchmarks
comparing a dual 2 GHz tower with a GF 5200 with 64 megs of VRAM and a
dual 2.5 GHz with a 9600 XT with 128 haven't shown that dramatic an
improvement. I'm guessing this is because Macsoft really optimized UT
for Apple's low-end systems, so we don't see that much of a performance
improvement in higher-end systems.

Anyway, much more games are coming out for the Mac than before. We got
UT 2004, Battlefield 1942 (FINALLY), Homeworld 2, and most other big PC
games. DOOM 3 has been officially announced by Aspyr, and I'm sure
Half-Life 2 will come before too long (probably either Aspyr or Macsoft
will do it). The game situation on the Mac has definitely gotten a lot
better in the past few years and continues to rapidly improve.

Adam