[MG] MAME

David Lowe doctorjlowe at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 18:24:08 PDT 2007

	Since MacMAME was mentioned in this forum recently, i thought i'd
mention that it hasn't been updated in 20 months [version 103 is the
latest available].  While development/maintenance coding has not
officially stopped, this surely looks like staleware to me.  There
are several other branches of the MAME tree that reach into the OS X
part of the woods:

	* Advance MAME: Andrea Mazzoleni ported this from the DOS version of
MAME, which is hosted on SourceForge.  He has stated that he no
longer has time to update it - latest version is 106.

	* X MAME: MAME for the X11 interface.  Unfortunately, the author was
last seen working on MAME, and has publicly stated that XMAME is
obsolete.  Last version 106.

	* SDL MAME: MAME using the cross-platform SDL graphics/hardware
interface.  This is fully up to date with the core version of MAME -
118.

	What is MAME?  It stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator.  This
is an open source/freeware program to emulate various console games.
By default, it is available in source code which you could compile
yourself; sometimes people provide pre-compiled binaries for your
use, if you trust running a program provided by a total stranger...
XMAME is also capable of being compiled with the FINK installer,
while AdvanceMAME is available through both FINK and MacPorts.  Note
that these installers are not necessarily up to date with the last
version provided by the author.

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

Please save your burned out bulbs for me -- I'm building a darkroom.