OT: language differences, was: Re: [MPA] best mac midi patch editor?481

Luke Snarl luke at snarl.org
Mon Apr 14 06:22:39 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 11:00 PM, db wrote:

> roots shoots and leaves." (for the uninformed, "root"
> has a completely different meaning in the lingo
> downunder)

yes. it's a verb - but unlike the US meaning ("to barrack") over here in
AUS it means "to shag" (which I will admit is actually an english term
but you get the idea....)

there are some other amusing differences between aussie, english and US
varieties of the english language

durex - a brand of condoms (in the UK) - sticky tape (in the US (or is
it the other way round?))
joint - cut of meat for roasting (in the UK) - marijuana cigarette
(everywhere else)
fanny - arse/ass/bum/butt (in US) - vagina (AUS, UK)

etc...

and my current favourite website at the moment: (totally unrelated to
the above but I still find it extremely amazing)

http://www.omniglot.com

:L uke, out.
Sub Bass Snarl sound system
http://snarl.org