[MPA] iTunes 4

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Mon Apr 28 13:08:12 PDT 2003

>A higher bit rate might (256K ?) have been nice but I haven't
seen/read
>that many AAC comparisons to MP3 to know really how good or not so
good
>it is.

According to Apple, 128K AAC is supposed to be very good
(indistinguishable from original by audiophiles).  96K AAC is supposedly
as good as 128K MP3.

My main problem with this whole thing is that even if I buy the song I
still don't actually get to use it except on my iBook.  I use a RioVolt
MP3 CD player to play music in my living room and car, so if I can't go
AAC->MP3, then I can't use the music.  Bummer.  I suppose someone could
write an AAC->MP3 hacker, but then maybe you're back to being illegal,
which defeats the purpose somewhat (except that the artists and all of
the middlemen will have gotten their cut).  I wonder if anyone is still
updating the firmware for RioVolts?