[MPA] Multichannel Interleaving

Luke Snarl luke at snarl.org
Thu Dec 11 16:54:44 PST 2003

the spec for WAV and AIFF and similar allows for any number of channels
of audio as specified by a number in the header of the file.

most people only think of mono and stereo but you can of course have as
many channels as you like.

A place I used to work in the past we commonly used 6-channel audio
files. Or 8.

Basically they are interleaved 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc

Its up to your apps that use them to adhere to a standard way of
choosing what channel number is for what. Typically however L=1 and R=2
and everything after that needs to be agreed upon by all users of the
files.

We were doing 5.1 surround stuff and I seem to remember (it was like 5
yrs ago) that there were two standards for where the channels went:

one was L, R, Ls, Rs, Center, Sub and the other was L, C, R, Rs, Sub,
Ls I think (which goes against the L=1 and R=2 thing but its kinda
clockwise round the room....)

anyhow hope that helps....

have fun!
:L