[MPA] midi interface

Christopher Corbell chriscorbell at cidersoftware.com
Sat Dec 13 15:10:08 PST 2003

On Dec 11, 2003, at 7:54 AM, LIVINGSTON, JOHN H. wrote:

> I'm finally putting my trusty 7500 out to pasture, and am looking at
> an emac
> as a good bang-for-the-bucks replacement. I use the computer mainly
> for midi
> sequencing. Can anyone recommend a good midi interface (firewire, I
> assume?), and basic OSX sequencing software? If there's something
> basic that
> does integrated audio as well, so much the better.

For an interface, I've found USB to be fine for MIDI.  I use a couple of
different cheap controllers that have direct USB connections (Edirol
PCR-30, MAudio Oxygen-8) and also the Yamaha UX-16 cable which
is a cheap USB-to-MIDI in/out cable.

If you want the same interface to handle both audio and MIDI there
are some USB solutions but I think they tend to have latency issues
for audio - not sure about the newer ones (anyone tried Mackie Spike?
is it shipping yet?)  There are a few firewire audio options for under
$500, the really nice ones cost more...

- Christopher