[MPA] I need sound(card) advice for my G4

John Neumann jneumann at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 29 14:33:21 PST 2003

PTFree sometimes gives an error message about
being out of disk space or having a fragmented
disk, but I think it's an incorrect message. I
was able to get it working by changing some disk
use settings in ProTools, but I don't remember
what it was (it's been more than a year since I
switched to OS X and I haven't used ProTools
since then). But I can tell you that I don't
think disk fragmentation is a problem- others may
have had other experiences- but I was running
ProTools on a beige G3 with a 4 GB hard drive,
that I didn't do anything special to, and I never
had any problems, even using 16 tracks (I think
that's the ProTools Free 3 maximum; ProTools Free
5 could only run 8 if I remember).

For recording with the DAE, you might be limited
to 2 tracks at a time in PTFree.

-John