[MPA] converting vinyl to CD

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 14 12:04:09 PST 2003

First of all I want to point out where I'm coming from. I'm a pro audio
guy with a lot invested in equipment time and training.  I have 20
years experience in recording and engineering.  For many years I taught
these topics at the community college level,  and from students I have
fielded every type of question imaginable.

I am however not an audio snob.  If a job can be done with simple tools
I'm all for it.

With that said, I have to point that I don't have much faith in an
interface like the Onkyo MSE-U33HB.   It does not support ASIO, which
means that there is a lot of software it won't work with.   I do not
think Onkyo will support this device with upgraded drivers in the
future.   A tool that is so crippled can be extremely frustrating to
use.      I doubt that it will ever work well under OS X, but I could
be wrong.   I also think that if your interest is to capture well
recorded vinyl performances, than you will be VERY disappointed will
the quality of the digital results from this interface.  There is most
definitely a difference in the quality of A/D and D/A converters.

If anybody is using this interface successfully I would like to hear
how you are doing, and what software you are using.

I really don't believe there is any USB interface that gives a decent
sound quality and reliable performance for under $200.00
Very basic USB interfaces such as the UA-3D from Edirol or the
Waveterminal U-24 from ESI are in the $200.00 - $250.00 range.   Pro
interfaces tend to be PCI or firewire, and are considerably more
expensive.

There is one new box coming out this month that I don't know anything
about, but is of interest to this conversation.  It is from TerraTec
and has a built in turntable preamp inputs, as well as standard audio
inputs.  It is called the Phono Preamp Studio USB.

http://www.terratec.net/ttus/

Cheers,

Scott