[MPA] More on Vinyl to CD

John Neumann jneumann at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 16 11:59:23 PST 2003

I'm not Michael, but,

	I wouldn't buy Spin Doctor (or the new Toast just to get Spin
Doctor) just for this purpose. Sometimes it works perfectly, but
other times, when it seems like it should be very easy to see the
gaps, it creates a huge number of markers (liek around a hundred) at
seemingly random spots. So you might as well do it by hand in that
case.

	The other things I don't like about Spin Doctor, compared to
other programs I use (e.g. Sound Studio), is that you have to select
a whole region corresponding to a song, rather than just pojnting at
a certain point where you want the split. True, selecting regions in
theory is more versatile, but not something you usually use, and a
big pain compared to split points.

The other thing I don't like is there is no overview of the whole
file, which helps when you want to find the split points quickly, and
I recall the scrollling being kind of awkward. In Sound Studio there
is such an overview, and by clicking in it it takes you to the area
where you have a close up view. That saves a lot of time and mousing
around. A core-audio version should be released in April, so I'm
happy I'll be able to use it in OS X with my MOTU 828.

Good luck,
John

At 10:47 -0800 2/16/03, David Crandon wrote:
>Michael,
>
>How well does CD Spin Doctor do at automatically detecting the gaps
>between songs?
>
>David Crandon
>
>Michael Kohl wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Folks,
>>
>>  I started digitizing my record collection about a year ago. And we ARE
>>  talking some obscure stuff that will never be released on CD.
>>
>>  Toast for the Mac comes with an app just for this purpose called "CD
>>  Spindoctor." It will get the track names off the CDDB (internet
>>  database of recordings). It IS time consuming! So far, in over a year,
>>  I've done about 5 lp's. Hahahahaha! 495 to go! I hope I live a long
>>  time!
>>
>>  Michael
>>
>>  Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>  > MacProAudio at lists.themacintoshguy.com

>>  To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
>><MacProAudio-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>  Need help from a real person? Try.
>><MacProAudio-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>>  ----------
>>  $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>>  Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
>>
>>    iMic   |   Griffin iMic! Add Audio in and out via USB.
>>  Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/imic.html>
>>
>>     Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>>     Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
><MacProAudio-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>Need help from a real person? Try.
><MacProAudio-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>----------
>$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>   iMic   |   Griffin iMic! Add Audio in and out via USB.
>Dr. Bott |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/imic.html>

John Neumann
Project Engineer
Micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS)