[MPA] More on Vinyl to CD

James A. Harrod jaharrod at cox.net
Sun Feb 16 17:59:58 PST 2003

I had been using a QPS burner rated at 8x4x32 prior to experiencing
major hard drive failure last July.  The restoration of my G4 system
included new hard drives that were considerably larger and cheaper
than the original equipment, plus a new burner from EZQUEST rated at
40x12x48 which I have been very pleased with in comparison to the
older QPS unit.  The EZQUEST came with new burning software as well,
DISCRIBE, which I would also give a good recommendation compared to
my experiences with Toast.

I have seen various opinions regarding the quality or fidelity of
music burned at 40x (poor) compared to burning at the slowest
possible speed 4x on the EZQUEST (best).  I would appreciate hearing
from list members regarding their take on this.  My ears cannot
detect in lowering of quality on music (jazz) recorded at the higher
speeds.

Thanks-

Jim (a 9.2 hanger on who prefers SoundEdit16 for recording)

P.S.  I usually work on five or six LP to CDR conversions per month,
and have been using Peak with the RayGun plug-in tool for clean up.