Audio I/O Interface and Other Newbie Questions

Steve Shapiro shapsteve at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 16:00:28 PST 2003

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the world of computer-based music recording, so I
hope my questions below aren't too naive. Just to give some background
first, I have a MDD Power Mac G4 dual 1.25Ghz running Jaguar and I have
just ordered a copy of Cubase SX (it's due to arrive tomorrow, in
fact).  My end goal is to make multitrack recordings and master
everything to CD (i.e. I want to make homemade albums of my own music).
My basic tracks will be MIDI-based and then I'll overdub live vocals,
guitars, and miscellaneous other sounds.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...Here's my questions:

Given that the bit rate of an audio CD is 16-bits, what's the reason
for getting an audio I/O interface that lets you record at 24-bits or
more?

On a related note, does anyone have an opinion of the Midiman
Audiophile 24/96?  It features 24-bit 96 kHz multitrack recording
(hence its name).  If I'm planning to run Cubase SX on a MDD G4 dual
1.25GZ machine, is this card overkill?  Why or why not?

Finally, I also have a PowerBook G4 Titanium 500Mhz running Jaguar.  Is
there any chance of doing all my Cubase SX recordings on that?  If so,
is there any audio I/O interface cheaper than the MOTU 828 that will
still give me similar high-quality/low-latency results?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!