[MPA] Studio vinyl sampling the right way?

David Crandon tdc at attbi.com
Sun Feb 23 18:28:10 PST 2003

I guess my first question back to you is why are you using the whole
mixer setup? Why not just a high quality regular stereo receiver? Also,
consider that while the cartridge you have is of very high quality, it
is not considered to be of the "audiophile" type.

It is of course important to clean the records (as well as your stylus).
I'd suggest a high quality commercial cleaning solution and brush
(Discwasher was a good brand back when) followed by a distilled or
reverse osmosis water rinse.

As far as cleanup goes...I don't know exactly how well the various high
quality software programs are that cleanup tics/pops and high freq.
hiss, but I do know that the few cheap consumer programs don't do as
good as a job as the audio hardware from the 1970's and '80's.

For that hardware, you can pick stuff up off of eBay. The best tic and
pop reducer was the SAE 5000 Impulse Noise Reduction unit. I've seen
them on eBay for $75-150. The next best (and only other I think) was the
Garrard unit.

For high freq. hiss, the best was the Phase Linear 1000 Autocorrelator
Series II unit. It's circuitry was also incorporated in various other
Phase Linear products.
They usually go for a little over $100.

They next best was probably the Burwen Dyanmic Noise Filter 1201A.
Usually less than $100.

Good luck,

David Crandon