[MPA] STEVE JOBS IS GOD

Frank Farwell macintalkpro at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 9 06:37:57 PST 2003

> As for crippling compatibility with FireWire drives,
> I am frustrated by
> that. (See my article at www.powerpage.org on the
> new applications.) I
> have a LaCie FireWire drive plugged into my
> PowerBook G4/400 that has
> the same mechanism as the SuperDrive, and, sure, I
> want to use it!
> Another caveat, though: my G4/400 would certainly be
> PAINFUL for
> regular iDVD use. But it would be at least possible
> if Apple would
> allow it.

i find my G4 400 w/ installed superdrive burning at 2x
just as fast as anything newer (burning the DVD) - now
iDVD encodes slower than on a faster model but since i
can still do other things (multitask) this is not a
problem, also i can have it encode while im out or at
night as a full DVD-R encode takes 2 or so hours.

Also there is two solutions, one is Formac Devideon
Ext. DVD-R/RW  that has a Pioneer DVR-105 drive plus
their mpeg encoder (included) is better than apples
for one thing it has variable bit rate so you can
increse or decrease the quality depending on the
length of the video. This give you more control over
the final product. The number two solution is to use
10.1.5 and use the enabler that is floating around
that will enable you to use iDVD with and external
drive.

frank farwell