[MPA] Request for recommendations

Carlson mariner at mts.net
Thu Jan 30 08:17:09 PST 2003

Yes that would be ideal. Every mic has it's own character, and to spend
upwards of $1000 for a high quality condenser mic kind of locks you into a
"sound". It's so hard to test all these different mics as well, but with
your rig you could run the Antares Microphone modeler plugin and tap into a
variety of options. You have to start with a good source, like maybe an AKG
C series, but I have reasonable success using a Shure SM58. A lot can be
done with compressors, eqs and effects. It really depends on how much money
you want to spend and what your purposes are, professional or otherwise. I
also use a Mackie 1202 mixer to plug in to my computer, rather than a high
end single-channel mic preamp. The Mackies are renowned for their mic
preamps.

Andy