[MPA] Sheet music from keyboard MIDI data

Charles Turner turnercl at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 08:40:08 PST 2003

Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:28:32 +0000
Subject: [MPA] Can anyone tell me if the following is possible
From: Primrose Music <primrose.music at dsl.pipex.com>

> Make a midi file by recording onto an electric piano's floppy disk?
> That is, are the files created in the disk drives of electric pianos
> midi files? Or not necessarily? Recommended pianos?
>
> Put the floppy into an Imation SuperDisk Drive, linked to an iMac. Or,
> if not a SuperDisk Drive, some other external floppy drive?
>
> Import the midi file into Sibelius? (Or any other music notation
> software programme that imports midi files)

The Yahama Disklavier pianos (real acoustic pianos, not just electric
models) can play from a diskette MIDI file, created on a computer (or
however). Presumably when the Disklavier records its own diskette
files, those are MIDI files. However, I haven't followed through on
this to check exactly what they are.

Probably someone on the Disklavier users group could answer your
specific questions:

<http://www.ptg.org/disklav.htm>

On the other hand, music engraving packages like Sibelius, Finale, et.
al. can take their music input directly from an inexpensive MIDI
attached keyboard. Alternatively some MIDI sequencing package could
record the keyboard's MIDI output, and then that MIDI file could be
imported into the music engraving package.

I have some limited experience with keyboard MIDI sequencing and
importing MIDI into Finale. It takes better keyboard chops than mine to
play in something cleanly enough for that captured MIDI to be practical
for sheet music. Imprecise rhythm is the main problem. MIDI hardware
and the computer are perfectly comfortable generating things that
become, for example, triple dotted thirty second rests. Actual
musicians don't want to read sheet music full of that stuff!

Quantizing can help clean this up. It probably comes down to the state
of one's keyboard skills versus how much time one wants to spend
editing, in the MIDI sequencer package or in the engraving package.
For me using the MIDI keyboard to just 'click' in the notes one at a
time is more practical!

You might say a bit more about your ultimate goal for this.

-ct