[MPA] Request for recommendations

Charles Turner turnercl at mac.com
Fri Jan 31 11:41:43 PST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 07:34  AM, Mac Pro Audio List wrote:

 >I've been trying to play Mr. Tolerant lately.

 >I would think that the question of when to take the plunge to OSX is
on the list for OS9 users. Especially if >they want to buy new macs or
enjoy the growing benefits of the current operating system.

 >Anyway, don't lose the faith NOW (I've been whining and complaining at
developers for YEARS on this now). >We're finally almost, almost there
(and some people are in fact there already).

Some of us stuck-in-OS9-through-no-fault-of-our-own users try to be
tolerant too, mostly in regard to our hardening attitude toward Apple.

It is not a small thing to throw away years of expertise with one
complex application to start over again learning a different one. For
me OS-X versions of my two remaining important applications (which
don't run properly or even at all under 'classic') are announced and
I'm confident that they will be delivered. I'd be wasting my time to
switch applications now just for OS-X compatibility reasons.

However, these new versions aren't in anyone's hands yet. In the case
of my audio recording/editing application I suspect its developers
(MOTU) were hindered by the shifting sands of Apple's new OS-X audio
technology, which I've read didn't finally settle down until Jaguar was
released only a few months ago.

I wanted to postpone a Mac upgrade until these applications got to OS-X
and until Apple got its G4 MDD fan noise problems fixed. However, the
old G3 Mac was ready for the proverbial pasture. If I could have nursed
it along for six more months then I'd not be in my present irritating
situation. But my instincts about its health were correct. Its HD
crashed within hours after I had copied everything over to the new
machine (that was a close call!).

By using the stick of artificially blocking OS9 booting in the 2003
machines, Apple herded me into having to buy a 2002 "wind tunnel" G4
MDD which I had read about and really didn't want.  After visiting an
Apple dealer and listening to their display MDD machine I decided it
wasn't 'too too' loud. Of course, when _my_ MDD arrived and was powered
up at home, the irritating fan sound experiences that I had been
reading about all came true. Now I read that these MDD fan noise
problems have finally been fixed - but too late for me - in the newest
no-boot-OS9 Jan. 2003 model G4s.

I used to be a mild mannered and contented Apple customer. I had an
upgrade and migrate to X strategy that could have worked just fine. Now
I feel more like a pawn in some Super Steve mind game.

-ct (just call me Grumpy)