What Headphones?

Scott Lists scottlists at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 22 11:05:01 PDT 2003

I just brought home a pair of the AKG 240's...really liked the sound
compared with a Sony MDR7506 Professional for the same price...the AKG
sounded more precise, and the Sony was very bassy and colored...both
were plugged into a Grace headphone amp...for a reason I can't explain,
though...the Sony's were way loud even without the boost switch on the
Grace, which was necessary with the AKG's...

However, I'm returning them for a pair of Sennheiser HD280
Pro's...(also around $100...would be interested in hearing comments
about these)...the AKG's are not truly "closed" and lots and lots of
sound comes out the backs...bad for realtime monitoring with a live mic
nearby.

Part of the design I appreciate is the swivel ear cups, which make "one
on, one off" the ear wearing more comfortable.  And I'd rather not
spend more than about $100 on my first pair.

But, other recommendations would be welcome.  I just got my Metric Halo
ULN-2, and am going to hold off on purchasing external monitors for a
bit...will mainly be doing VO's and a bit of my own overdubbed singing.
  Please let me know if the Sennheisers would not be suited for this.

--SL