What Headphones?

David Nolan DaveNolanAudio at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 07:03:38 PDT 2003

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 08:14  AM, Scott Lists
<scottlists at hotmail.com> wrote:

<sneep>

> Sony (7506's) was very bassy and colored...both
> were plugged into a Grace headphone amp...for a reason I can't explain,
> though...the Sony's were way loud even without the boost switch on the
> Grace, which was necessary with the AKG's...

I'm surprised you got this "bassy" result - the 7506's are kind of the
industry standard for both live sound and studio work because of their
incredibly accurate flat response, as well as the fact that they are
designed to take a real beating...

I have had that "bassy" effect when I was forced to use any of the Sony
consumer versions (i.e.- the V600's instead of the 7506's) - my
suspicion is that the consumer models have the EQ tweaked for greater
consumer acceptance of the sound - almost like having the old
"loudness" (bass boost) button depressed on older stereo receivers from
the 70's and 80's...

I am currently using the Sony 7509's (about $175 and worth it) because
they feature the same incredibly flat response and rugged construction
as the 7506's with a bigger driver (50mm instead of 40mm in the
7506's), as well as a greatly improved ear cup (more like the V600's)
that allows for far superior isolation, especially in live
environments...

dave n
Dave Nolan Audio
nyc