Where are we with DAW in OSX?

Rick Rutherford leftwrite at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 15:07:07 PST 2003

I have been hoping for more discussion on professional audio on this list,
but what I have read mostly for the past month is hobbyist questions about
moving LPs to MP3 and general Mac stuff. So let me throw this out there.

I have recently moved from hard disc recording to DAW and I am curious and
frustrated by the way things are moving in Mac OSX. I was originally sold on
using Digital Performer for my main recording app. My problem...it is the
only OS9 app I use. Logic 6, Pro Tools, and CuBase are all now on OSX. I
must admit, I haven't put much time into DP because of the OS9 issue. When I
bought DP I was told the OSX version was imminent.

As we all know this is not the case. MOTU has been unresponsive to my
inquiries about the timeline. I don't want to invest any more time or money
in DP if they can't make their move soon. Any ideas on why I should consider
Logic 6 or the others? Are there competitive upgrades? Are there real
advantages with each based on recording instruments versus MIDI.

I just want to get this dialog moving in case there are others like me who
are new and frustrated by the OSX audio road map. I want to create today,
but I would like to do it in OSX. Let's talk!

Rick Rutherford
Round Rock, Texas