[MPA] Where are we with DAW in OSX?

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Wed Mar 5 17:09:15 PST 2003

Rick,

Your concern is the lament of all Mac pro audio users.   OS X has been
(and still is) a difficult road for audio.

MOTU showed DP for OS X at the NAMM show this year, and their latest
ETA for DP is "early 2003".   Your frustration is shared by many.  As
for your request for information from MOTU, they are well known for
their crummy communication.

I still boot into OS 9 to use DP.  It doesn't work with classic.   It
is a pain, but I am reluctant to switch platforms, so I wait.........

The "Musikmesse" (world's largest music products show) started today in
Frankfurt.  Perhaps there will be an announcement from there.

As far as switching to another platform, that is a matter of personal
taste.  Logic, DP and Cubase all have their strengths and weaknesses,
but there is a rational for going to Logic.  Apple bought Logic last
year, so you know that their products will always be up to date with
respect to OS.  Logic for OS X is shipping and most reports indicate
that it is working well with Jaguar.

  I believe all these products have competitive upgrades. Check their
websites.

These two discussion forms are more active than this MacProAudio.
Check them out:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/

Cheers,

Scott