[MPA] iTunes4 messes up dynamic range

Thubten Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri May 2 10:36:04 PDT 2003

I had not noticed this "problem" until I read this post. I don't think
I have it. I did notice that the iT4 install turns the equalizer back
to flat. So I had to turn that back on. I have never used the wound
enhancer. Just tried it. Seems to goose the high frequencies when on.
But I notice that if I turn it off after about 20 seconds of
"adjustment time", the highs from the EQ settings come back up. I don't
know. Can't really perceive that the sound is worse than iT3 sound.
Maybe the Sound Enhancer set on High PLUS the EQ the way I like it is
best. I really like very boosted highs AND lows with a full on 1K
setting too. I think one needs to fool with both the EQ and the Sound
Enhancer settings to get it the way they like it for the setup that
they are listening through.

I've got a 15" 400 Watt Subwoofer on the floor and a pair of large
3-ways flanking my monitor from a 100 watt per channel amp. Still sound
good to me.

I think what is most amazing to my ears/brain is that a ripped 128kbps
AAC file from a 192kbps MP3 source file sounds as good as or BETTER
than the original. How the hell is that possible? Are my ears fooling
me with Dolby's magic formula or what? Or is it just a placebo effect —
part of Steve's Reality Distortion Field?