[MPA] iTunes4 messes up dynamic range

Filipe M. macfilipe at netcabo.pt
Sun May 4 08:24:39 PDT 2003

On Sexta, Mai 2, 2003, at 18:01 Europe/Lisbon, David Crandon wrote:

> On several of the big Mac web site (Macintouch and MacFixit), they've
> been talking about the decreased sound quality with iTunes4 that was
> just released.
>
> What they are all describing seems to be related to a decreased dynamic
> range, but as usual, when non-audio people try to describe what they
> are
> hearing it's not making much sense.
>
> I was wondering if any of the techies on this list could take their
> ears
> and instruments and tell us what happened between iTunes3 and iTunes4.

I didn't notice this at all in iTunes, but my DVD Player app is killing
me... it looks like someone shoved a ducker on it, with the longest
release time known to man... it's making my mobile DVD viewing
experience a complete pain, especially with music titles! I am watching
Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" and it freaking me off; as soon as Manu
Katché hits the kick, the level goes down for a few bars, until it
rises again, just to go down again on the next strong beat!
Has anyone had this problem? I don't think it is the audio encoding,
I've tried Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1 and the results are the same (no
linear PCM on this DVD...).

TIA,

Filipe

Config: PowerBook G4 550, OS X.2.5, USB Yamaha Speakers or iMic