[MPA] Audio/Midi in X-Opcode hardware and more...

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 3 21:38:02 PST 2003

On 3/11/03 20:16, "KathyMac!" <Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org> wrote:
All Serial Midi interfaces are working with OS X using the Stealth port on a
G4, a G5 version will be available soon !
You must set your midi interface to MTP mode !

If you have some problems contact me directly

> On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 06:25 AM, Mac Pro Audio List wrote:
>
>> Did you load the drivers first from the manufacturer(well it won't be
>> opcode..since they no longer
>> exist :) )? Then restart with the device plugged in and it should pick
>> it up in the Audio/Midi
>> utility. If there are no drivers for your device for OSX, the OS
>> cannot recognize it.
>>
>> Is this opcode device supported somewhere else? or picked up by rogue
>> developers?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Well, there it is. The problem I was afraid of. Nope, I did not load
> any drivers for the Opcode MidiPort 96 because there are none. Just as
> you said, Opcode is long gone and the "driver" needed to recognize this
> midi hardware is OMS in System 9. In System X there is no OMS so I
> guess that's why there will be no recognition of it. Somehow, I thought
> that Core Audio and OSX Midi had all this stuff "built in" and
> automatic. I didn't realize you still needed drivers for your hardware.
> I was under the impression that OSX automatically recognized any midi
> gear that was hooked up.
>
> So, that's why I've been pulling my hair out. No driver for my
> beautiful Opcode midi interface.
>
> Anyone know of any suggestions other than buying a brand new rack mount
> 8x8 interface? That's an investment I don't want to make when this one
> is staring at me in my rack already.
>
> My current solution?
> I have gotten so fed up trying to make the switch over to X for audio
> for so many reasons that I finally just decided enough was enough. I
> had bought a brand new dual processor 1GHZ G4 (that I am writing on at
> this moment) and retired my BELOVED Beige G3 300mhz MT to another room
> as a server. I was running Cubase 4.1 (THE most stable Cubase ever) and
> of course all of my midi hardware on it for 5 years. Never had a CPU
> problem, never had a speed problem. It was perfect. I was looking
> forward to producing audio on my new 22" Cinematic Display but all that
> has changed....
> The G3 is BACK in the studio. The Opcode is running beautifully thru
> the USB card and OMS in System 9. I took my MOTU PCI 324 card out of
> the new G4 and put it back home in the G3. I've got my old 20" CRT
> monitor hooked up and a secondary 17" like the old days. OS 9 is
> running like a charm and writing, creating, and producing audio is
> smooth like the old days. Until OSX becomes less of a hassle my studio
> stays this way.
>
> Right beside my setup is the big Cinematic Display and G4 running OSX.
> Why don't I just boot into 9 and use a faster computer? Because that's
> a hassle too. I love the beauty of OSX and iChat, iPhoto, iDVD, Mail,
> Address Book, and all the wonderful things I've grown to enjoy. I don't
> want to reboot each time I choose to do a bit of audio or midi only to
> have to keep switching when I want to utilize features in OSX.

> [...]

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
France

Please sign the petition ³Apple to support APPLE LaserWriter 300 in MAC OS
X²
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Ap1c1/petition.html

If you want to be sure I read your answer leave my name in it !
Spam mails are directly going to trash