[MPA] Analog to digital question:

Scott Jacob Loehr scott at folkloehr.com
Tue Oct 21 16:12:55 PDT 2003

>A client has provided me with an audio cassette (3 min.) to turn into a .mp3
>
>What options do I have with my G5?
>
>Griffin iMic?
>
>Please advise.
>
>Thanks in advance for you time.

	What about the built-in Analog Audio In port on the back?
All you'll need is a little Y-adapter cable to go from the two RCA
outs of your cassette deck to the 1/8" stereo mini jack on your G5.
Probably about $7 from Radio Shack... stereo male 1/8" mini-jack to
two RCA male plugs.  Sometimes, the Y-cables have female RCA ends, so
you'll need a male-to-male RCA cable to complete the chain.
	Of course, you'll need the software to record the audio and
do the conversion to mp3.  I'm using Digital Performer 4.1, Spark XL
2.8, Toast 6 Titanium and Jam, which is overkill for archiving
cassettes... there may be a shareware or freeware app out there.  I'm
embarassed to say that I don't know anything about iTunes... with the
other stuff I use in my studio, I haven't had the need to open it up.
I know iTunes will let you make mp3 playlists from existing mp3
files; does it let you record audio in as an mp3?

Scott Jacob Loehr