[MPA] Noise reduction (was Re: Audio Interface Advice?)

David Crandon tabdave at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 08:22:21 PST 2004

Hello Jay,

I disagree with you somewhat. The Phase Linear Autocorrelator Series II
(and other Phase Linear pre-amps that had it) did a very decent job of
getting rid of hiss. It used a dynamic three band high freq filter that
was very effective. It wasn't completely without artifacts, but they
were well worth the tradeoff when used appropriately.

The same was true of Dolby C...When used properly, it was very
effective. But, unfortunately, to be used effectively, recording and
playback levels had to be adjusted properly....Which was almost
impossible unless you played back on the same machine you recorded it
with.

David Crandon