[MPA] AIFF Quicktime Pro conversion question

Gregg Gorrie ggorrie at telus.net
Tue Feb 10 13:28:04 PST 2004

on 2/10/04 10:25 AM, Rod Duncan at roduncan at telus.net wrote:

> I have a 908 MB 16 bit 48 kHz AIFF audio file I want to resize to fit
> onto a regular CD for play in my car. It is a 90 minute voice audio
> file so reducing the kHz isn't a big deal with only a subtle quality
> change.
>
> I first exported it from the 48 kHz size to a 32 kHz and this reduced
> it to 649 MB. On attempting to burn it in Toast gave an error that
> there were no enough sectors available. ???
>
> I then tried a conversion to 24 kHz which reduced it down to a
> smaller yet, 450 MB size. Both of these attempts to burn gave me the
> not enough sectors available warning in Toast on attempt to burn. ???
>
> What am I missing? Is it because the length is still 90 minutes? The
> Quicktime file size is small enough to fit onto a 700 MB CD. I ended
> up spitting it into two-45 minute CD's @ 48 kHZ & 16 bit stereo.
> However, I did want it on one CD.
>
> Any & all help appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

The Red Book Audio CD standard only allows for 44.1Khz sampling rate. Even
if you down-sampled it to 24Khz, Toast will want to sample it back up to
44.1Khz to create an audio CD, which is why you can't burn the 90 minutes of
audio onto a regular CD. If your car stereo is one that can also play MP3
CDs you could do it that way.
--
Gregg