[MPA] system crash

Luke Snarl luke at snarl.org
Thu Feb 12 14:27:59 PST 2004

OK

well its unusual (but possible) that RAM will fail after a burn in
period

normally its faulty right way if its gonna be faulty - but my flatmate
just discovered a problem with his PC was dud RAM - and he had had the
SIMM in question for over a year with no problems until now.

So it does happen....

one way to check would be to remove the new DIMM and see if the machine
ever crashes - might take some patience.

alternatively swap the DIMM with another (if available) and see if the
machine crashes.

If it does crash you know it is not the new DIMM (could be the other
original DIMM though) but if it doesn't crash, well, how long do you
wait before you declare it is definitely the RAM....

anyway might be worth trying removing or swapping the DIMM before the
laborious task with Prefs that Jay mentioned. A fsck however is always
a good idea.

good luck! and remember only change one thing at a time....
:L uke, out.

On Thursday, February 12, 2004, at 10:57 PM, Tom Dempsey wrote:

> I have had the machine since last March and added RAM in April. So the
> machine worked well for 10 or 11 months. I have heard some talk that
> problems like this might be related to RAM.
>
> Tom

Sub Bass Snarl sound system
Sydney, Australia.
http://snarl.org