[MPA] Garage Band vs Soundtrack

Peter Kirn musicmac at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 08:42:58 PST 2004

Hi Bruce,

I think the main question you want to ask yourself is:

1. Do you want to use a MIDI keyboard or guitar amps? If yes, you need
Garage Band, because Soundtrack lacks MIDI input and guitar features.

2. Do you want to do video scoring in the same program as you're
assembling your audio and loops? If yes, you need Soundtrack, because
Garage Band doesn't support video scoring.

So you COULD wind up wanting both programs.

And if you want to trigger loops live in performance, there's no
substitute for Ableton Live.

And if you want full interoperability in an integrated mixing
environment, you'll need pro software, too, like DP4 or Logic.

Peter Kirn
www.macmusic.org
www.PETERKIRN.com