[MPA] Audio Interface Advice?

Jay Shaffer jshaf at jayshaffer.com
Fri Jan 23 14:24:53 PST 2004

The real issue is the quality of the A to D converters Most brands of
audio interfaces use an Analog Devices chip. So in spite of claimed
differences a $99 stereo card is pretty much as as good as a $500
stereo card.
If you have a good turntable pre amp hook it to a 24bit 96Khz interface
and you are probably good to go.
If you are  really rich you can  spend thousands of dollars on
"audiophile" gear for inperceptable differences in final quality.
But as an recording engineer for many years experience. Careful
recording technique is worth a lot more than expensive gear.
Let  me recommend Audacity as a sound editor for restoring your old
78RPMs it has a noise sampling and reduction effect ala Ray Gun and
it's free.
--
Jay Shaffer
Mac Audio Guy